Sunday, July 31, 2011

Just Take a Detour

So, we are on week 3 of a heatwave in St. Louis.  The only thing there really is to do to find relief from the miserable heat is to go to the pool or sit inside a freezer.  That being said, we've opted for going to the pool.  On Friday, we tried out Aquaport in Maryland Heights.  It was a lot of fun and we were really enjoying ourselves when the lifeguard made everyone get out of the pool.  When my friend Candace came back from riding one of the water slides (yes kids, mommies like to have fun, too!) She asked why everyone had to get out of the pool.  All of the kids insisted it wasn't "Adult Swim" because they knew that this pool didn't have adult swim.  I answered, "Eh, their probably just checking to make sure no one drowned."  I don't think Candace was thrilled with my sarcastic remark, as she replied "I sure hope the life guards would notice that without evacuating the pool."  In my defense, the pool was somewhat crowded.

Actually, there was a "public health emergency," which is just code for "someone pooped in the pool."  Apparently, it was quite a doozie because the entire water park was immediately closed.  All guests were issued rain checks to come back another time.  I have to say, that was pretty awesome customer service.  We were gong to be leaving soon anyway, so this was a nice bonus to get passes for me and the boys to return again before summer ends. Kudos Aquaport!

Later, the boys were telling the story to Chris about how awesome the pool was, but how disappointed they were about leaving early.  One thing led to another, and pretty soon the conversation turned into all of us "suggesting" that we should just get a pool of our own.  This is not a new topic of conversation in our house.  I'm pretty sure I ask, well maybe beg, for Chris to get a pool for us at least once a week.  Never mind the fact that we actually can't afford a pool right now (as I'm sure it would be upwards of $40,000).  The pool idea is based on the idea that we would win the lottery or become independently wealthy.  Chris's argument is that our yard isn't big enough for a pool.  I think he needs his eyes checked, but that's beside the point.  I think he's gotten sick of us "asking" for a pool because last night on the way to dinner he said very firmly, "WE WILL NEVER GET A POOL."

Needless to say, the car fell silent.  After a couple of minutes Andrew replies, "Well if you and Mom take a detour to Heaven then Joey and I can get a pool."  That is a solid argument Andrew.  Once we are dead, I guess you can do what you want.

I'm not giving up, nor am I ready to take a "detour to Heaven."  I just want some relief from the heat and to swim in a pool that we don't have to worry about a "public health emergency."  So, I guess I better start playing the lottery to help fund this pipe dream.  Oh, and here is a picture of the back yard, which is TOTALLY big enough for a pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment