Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Quite Possible...

I. Can't. Believe. It. There is a good chance I may attempt to train for another 1/2 Marathon.  I realize how crazy that sounds.  I didn't blog about the last race, but in October 2010 I ran my 2nd 1/2 Marathon.  It was a fantastic race, and I finished strong with a pretty decent time.  2:10 and some change.  That was 12 minutes faster than the first race just 6 months prior.  A pretty good improvement, but not quite that 1:59:59 I was hoping for.  The training and journey to race day is quite a story.  6 weeks of physical therapy and 2 cortisone shots in the foot.  It was time consuming, demanding and all around unpleasant.  I said it would be my last distance race.  I even gave my friends permission to slap me silly if I ever mentioned running another distance race.  Then the announcement of the MO Cowbell Race was made.  Let's face it, we all need more cowbell!    I guess I better get ready for some red cheeks....

Seriously though, my Morton's Neuroma is still  there and I've even added some hip pain to the mix.  But, I'm still running.  I won't give up.  I'm doing weight training to correct the muscle imbalance that is causing the hip pain.  Apparently, you CAN outrun your muscles.  I admit, I have slacked on hitting weights.  I know how important weight training is to the overall health and injury prevention of a runner.  My hips, quads, hamstrings and glutes are weak.  Focusing on strengthening  those muscles will hopefully help the hips and decrease the aches and pains.  The neuroma is a different story.  I'm either going to learn to live with pain or I'm going to have surgery.  Thanks to Twitter, I've found a doctor that performs a procedure for Morton's Neuroma that has a high success rate.  Guess I better make that appointment.

I can think of a hundred reasons why I shouldn't train for another race.  Summer training is awful, aches and pains, not wearing my beloved high heels (because they aggravate my neuroma) and having to limit my wine consumption.  Seriously, why would I want to run the MO Cowbell race???  One reason, the feeling of crossing the finish line is AMAZING.  Words cannot describe it.

I'm not signing up just yet, but I am going to start adding some speed work runs and slowly increase my distance to see if my body will hold up for another 12 week training schedule.  I'm also thinking of starting a petition to get Will Ferrell to attend the race.  He would be a Grand Marshall of sorts, lol!  It would be similar to Ellen's petition to Oprah to get on the cover of O Magazine.  This would be a petition to get Will Ferrell to come and bang a cowbell at the finish line.  Wouldn't that be a reason in itself to run 13.1 miles?




No comments:

Post a Comment