Monday, May 16, 2011

What Would You Do?

OK, I need some advice.  I purchased  one of those "deals" a few weeks ago for a house cleaning.  It was a 3 hr coupon for $50.  What a deal, right?  When I scheduled the cleaning, the owner of the company told me it would take 4 hours to clean my house because they do a "good, deep cleaning" on the first visit.  Thus, I would need to pay out of pocket for an hour of cleaning.  I was fine with that, because I wanted to treat myself and have the house really clean.  It was the day before Joey's First Communion and I didn't want to have to stress about the house.

For those of you who know me well, I am a bit "Type A" especially when it comes to cleaning my house.  So, I'm sure my expectations were high on the quality I expected.  When the cleaning crew arrived, I was surprised to see just one woman.  She took a look around and said she would get started.  She estimated that it would take 3 hours, which concerned me since I'd previously been told it would be 4 hours.

After 3 hours of cleaning she was done.  The house looked good, but if you looked too closely you would think otherwise.  She didn't sweep or mop under the kitchen table, she didn't sweep or mop the bathroom floor of the boys bathroom, she didn't move picture frames and dust behind them on my entertainment center. Nor did she dust my dining room table.  Also, she didn't vacuum my stairs, which needed it BAD.  The exposed wood treads of the stairs were also overlooked.  If you've ever been to my house, you know I have dark cherry wood throughout, so it shows every speck of dust.  I myself have to dust every 2 days because I can't stand it.

When she finished, she mentioned that she was going to be cleaning houses anymore because she was starting a catering business and asked to leave some of her business cards with me.  I said sure, because at the time I didn't realize all of the areas she had missed.  Obviously, I won't be calling her for my next event!

So, here is my dilemma.  Do I tell the owner of the cleaning company about my experience or do I just chalk it up to "I got what I paid for?"  After all, I only paid $50, which is probably 1/2 of what it would have cost full price.  Since this person isn't working for the company anymore, it probably won't affect their business in the future.  What would you do?  I'm not one who likes to cause a ruckus, but it was frustrating to have to go back and clean after I'd just had someone "clean."  Tell me what YOU would do!  Thanks and cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....that's a tough one. I think I would call, this way they know they need to re-train their staff or just go over what is expected while they are on the job. They want to have a good reputation for their business and, if they aren't training their employees correctly they aren't going to have that good name. Hey, maybe they will send someones else out to re-do what she was suppose to do. If they don't know there is a problem they can't correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Koppel FeldtMay 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM

    I think you should call the company, since this lady evidently knew that she wasn't going to be cleaning anymore, and tell them what all she missed!! I'm sure the company wants to keep their good name!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call the company- you paid for a service that was not totally completed because of your dissatisfaction- I remember how excited you were about this- and what a shame it wasn't what you thought! Call!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the feedback! I'm going to call, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being "one of those" people who complain about everything.

    ReplyDelete