Thursday, April 28, 2011

First Bikram Yoga Session...I survived!

My sister Stephanie has been telling me about Bikram Yoga for a few years now.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Bikram Yoga is "hot yoga."  You do a combination of 26 postures or poses in a room that is heated to 105 degrees.  Thanks to Groupon, I bought a voucher for a month of unlimited classes.  The studio is in Chesterfield and the class times are perfect.

I decided to give it a try today so I could use my month before the kids are done with school.  The benefits of Bikram are supposed to be amazing, ridding your body of toxins as well as building strength and stamina.  I'm really hoping to tone up and improve my running, too.  

I have to be honest, I was a bit concerned and very nervous after my newbie orientation.  The instructor told me my goal should be "not to leave the room."  She told me I might get nauseous, and even vomit because of the heat.  Yikes!  What the heck have I gotten myself into it?

I'm not sure if it was all of the running I did in the heat last summer or what, but I actually survived the first session with ease.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy.  The room was HOT.  I MEAN HOT.  I was sweating before we even started.  By the time we were half way through the class, I was drenched.  However, it felt so good, because I knew I was ridding my body of toxins and impurities.  My muscles feel stronger already and I can't wait to do it again.  I'm hoping to practice 3 times a week while I have the Groupon.  I've heard some pretty amazing weight loss stories because of Bikram, too!  I gotta say, that makes me excited, too!

So here's to sweating A LOT in the next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment