Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Goals

Wow, another year has come and gone. I know I've been horrible at updating this blog, but I'm hoping 2011 will be the year that I can stick with it! Usually at this time of the year, everyone is so focused on looking ahead that it is easy to overlook all of the accomplishments of the past year. So, as we embark on 2011, let’s take a minute to look back on 2010. Personally for me, 2010 was a pretty great year. In January 2010, I set 3 goals for myself. I really don’t like the term “resolution” because that has such a finite meaning. A goal on the other hand is something that I can constantly be working towards. So my 3 goals of 2010 were: 1) to finish the Go! St. Louis ½ Marathon, 2) To watch less TV and to read more, and 3) To spend more time playing with my boys, which meant not focusing so much on housework.

Well how did I fare? Not only did I finish the Go! St. Louis ½ Marathon, but I also ran the Lewis and Clark ½ Marathon! I logged over 500 miles in running alone in 2010. Not too bad for someone who just started running a little over a year ago. This was not without difficulty, though. I ended up getting 2 cortisone shots and underwent 6 weeks of physical therapy to achieve that goal. It was totally worth it though! As for #2, I read 20 books in 2010. That is almost one book every two weeks. As for the amount of time I spent watching TV, well, I can’t say that I succeeded in that area. Thanks to FINALLY getting a DVR this past Fall, I’m pretty sure the amount of TV I watched increased significantly from October to the end of the year, which ironically is when my reading tapered. Coincidence? And finally #3, spending more time playing with my boys. For someone with a Type A personality, I thrive on organization. And for me, a clean house is an organized house. However, I didn’t want my boys to grow up thinking that I was too busy to play with them because I needed to “wash this” or “dust that.” Well, I have to say, by the way my house looked when the boys went back to school in August, I succeeded in my last goal! It took me weeks of cleaning and organizing to get the house back to normal, but the hours of fun I had with my boys this summer I will treasure forever.

Now, as I look ahead to 2011, it’s time to set a few more goals for myself. I want to challenge all of you to do the same. I like to set 3 goals, one that will challenge me physically, one that will challenge me mentally and the last one that will benefit my family. Goal #1: This year I want to focus on eating better. I plan to do this by cooking more so my family is eating better. It’s time to ditch the drive thru! Last year I was able to eat pretty much whatever I wanted because I was running so much. I still plan on running, but I don’t see any long distance races in my future. My body doesn’t seem to fare well with the training. Goal #2: Spend less time on the computer. I love technology and all it affords, but come on; we all know that it can be a major time waster! I plan on using my extra time playing even more with my boys. Goal #3: Get back into scrapbooking. I didn’t scrapbook one page this year, not one! I have a closet full of scrapbooking supplies just waiting for me. I want to create heirlooms that my family will treasure for years.

So,I challenge you to set 3 goals for yourself this year. They don’t need to be anything over the top, just goals that are attainable and that will help you to be the best person you can be. I have one friend who made only one goal for herself this year, to reduce the amount of yelling she does at her kids! Whether you have one goal or ten this year, write them down and make an action plan of how you will attain them. Good luck and I can’t wait to hear all of YOUR success stories. Here’s to the best YOU in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment