Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What in the World Did I Do?

It's official. I am crazy! Everyone already knew that though, ha ha! Seriously though, I am officially registered to run the Go! St. Louis Half-Marathon on April 11, 2010. For all of you non-runners out there (like me!) a half-marathon is 13.1 miles. WOW that is a lot! I honestly have no idea if I can do this, but I am definitely going to try. I am not a runner. I am hoping to become a runner, though. Runners have rockin' bodies and skinny legs. Two things I greatly desire.

So you ask, how did this happen? Well, I am in a book club. Actually, I co-founded the book club with my friend Carrie. I met Carrie earlier this year at my Twilight DVD Release Party. I instantly new that she was my kind-of-girl when not only did she love all things Twilight, but, she stayed for the after-party to watch the Justin Timberlake Future Sex/Love Show with me. For those that know me well, the only time I bust that DVD out is when I've had a few too many glasses of wine! For the record, this so called after party was just me, Carrie and Justin! So, not only does Carrie like to read, but she likes Twilight and JT. When she started to pressure me into joining her new running club, I thought, well, I guess that is where our friendship ends. I am not a runner. Never will be, and I don't want to be. Well, lucky for me, Carrie just wouldn't give up, so I finally, after much complaining, gave in and decided to go to the informational meeting of the "Running Club." Well, after the meeting I was feeling very inspired so I headed out for a run. I actually did 3 miles that day and it felt pretty good!

The only issue I've ever had with running, is that it hurts my body. I get unpleasant ankle pain and awful shin splints. Everyone told me that it was my shoes, but I just couldn't understand that I needed special shoes to run in. But, I thought it was worth a shot to at least test that theory. So I headed over to Fleet Feet to get fitted for some special running shoes. Believe it or not, they made all the difference in the world. I had a pain-free run for the first time in my life. I guess my fellow running friends know their stuff! That was also the first time I actually had a bit of confidence that I could actually run this half-marathon. So, I took the plunge while my confidence was high and registered for the race. Once I invest money into something, there is no turning back. I've got fancy new running shoes and paid my registration fee, so that pretty much means that I will crawl across that finish line if I have to!

I currently have a little over 20 weeks to train for this race. I will keep you all posted on the progress. My first challenge is running the "Jingle Bell Run" this weekend. It is only a 5K, but I am excited to run in my first official race!

BTW, the last time I caved in to peer pressure was when I decided to read Twilight. And well, we all know how well that turned out! So, I'm hoping it is the same for running, that although I am initially hesitant about it, I will in time, grow to love it!

PS... Speaking of Twilight, New Moon opens in 2 days! Carrie and I already have our tickets to the Midnight showing, so watch out world, there are going to be 2 crazy vampire, JT loving Twilight moms getting wild on Thursday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment