Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Call it what you want, Type A, H1N1, Swine Flu, I'm going with the Pig!

For those of you who know me, it's no secret I'm a germ-o-phobe. It all started when Joey was just 2 years old and Andrew was about 4 months old. Joey was so sick with bronchio-pneumonia that was related to RSV. He also had a double ear infection with it, too. Of course my little baby Andrew got it. RSV in infants can be deadly. This all started just days after Chris had taken a new job that would require him to be out of town for training for 6 weeks. So here I was, with 2 very sick children going to doctors, hospitals and the pharmacy so many times in 2 weeks I couldn't keep track. I knew it was bad when the doctor told me that if Joey didn't respond to the breathing treatment in the office we were taking an ambulance to the hospital. Needless to say, it was an experience I never want to relive. My heart goes out to single mothers. I don't know how you do it! Luckily, Andrew faired much better than Joey. That was a small miracle! So, I finally get everyone healthy, get my husband home from training and I kid you not, the first time we leave the house, Joey shows up with a fever the next day. He ran a fever for 10 days straight. After putting my baby thru more tests, it was determined he had mono! Can you even believe that? A 2 year old with mono? The winter of 2005 is one that will go down in the history books for the Feldt Family. For 2 years after that RSV, just a simple cold would cause Joey's lungs problems. We would be doing breathing treatments around the clock. His lungs developed permanent scarring. Even last year, he had pneumonia three times. Talk about a tale from the 'hood!

As you can see, I have a slight reason to fear germs. They don't like my family. So with this whole pig flu going around, I'm a little on edge. There were over 100 children out of Joey's school yesterday. There is a diagnosed case in Andrew's preschool class. I feel like we are just a ticking time bomb right now. At the MOPS meeting today, we only had 1/2 of the group there because of so many sick moms and kids. For all of you who are staying home to prevent the spread of this virus, I thank you. My kids thank you too! I'm on the look out for this darn pig. If I catch him, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind and show him who is boss! Just think of me as the Big Bad Wolf! Little pig, little pig, let me in... I'm armed and dangerous with my Germ-x, Lysol and bleach!

And for all of you that have been affected by this pig, I am sorry and know that I am praying for you and your health, and the health of your family. Pray for us, too that if we do meet the pig, he will be merciful to us!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lady, I feel ur pain. My youngest daughter now 5, had RSV when she was 2 weeks. By the time we got her to Cardinal Glennon she would stop breathing every 3 - 4 min. She was so tiny and had all these tubes all over her. I felt so helpless. And it did almost kill her, at one point her pulse/ox was down to 57. Its should be around 98/99. They came in a did a gas test on her, and when the results came back, they told me her "immune system" was shutting down. That was unacceptable to me...I told the DR's to "fix" her! Another 45 min. later, after alot of "pounding" done on her back to loosen all the gunk in her lungs, they did the same test again, the results were much better this time. They wouldn't let her go home until she was off the oxygen for 24 hrs. She went on a Tues. and came home the following Tues. She has had RSV 2 other times since then. And she does get sick so much quicker, and it takes her longer to get over it. She gets Bronchitas, about 2 or 3 times a year, and has had pnemonia several times. But, right now my son (who is 11) has the "piggy flu" , he has been in his room now for 2 days. I am making sure that he stays away from all 3 of my other kids, especially Ariana and my baby Tristan. I am right there with you, and understand exactly what you are feeling with all of this "flu" talk. I pray that you and your family stay healthy during this time.

    ReplyDelete